Monday, March 9, 2009

Tiny Me - SP?!?

Anyone who knows me now would laugh outright or be surprised at the wonderful adjective attributed to me! For one I'm not Tiny, I am tall and healthy as per the Indian stds., nor am I the silent you can go-past me without noticing me kinds! Literally or figuratively it doesnt apply at all...
Wonders and Wonders that's exactly what I was called recently and I almost fell out of my seat ! Reminded me of the 'Adjectives Lesson' learnt in school - something to do with superlative, comparative etc. The truth knocked me on my head - that an adjective is most definitely a perception and people perceive things as per their culture and things/people/objects around them.

The first 20 years of my life I was ragged constantly by friends, cousins, neighbours anyone and everyone that I was painstakingly, undernourishingly thin as a stick and people would think I'm a tiny kid always. How horrible! But then teasing has no limits. Well after marriage I moved to the other extreme of this teasing on how I starve my husband and enjoy all the food in the world. You may blame it on marital bliss, total and thorough pampering by my in-laws or the dreaded hormonal changes - Don't care what but I did add on some well needed pounds and now am ragged for that too! I got used this side of teasing for quite sometime now, that it took me a moment to realise that I was being called TINY recently at a gathering!
Can it be true? Yes it was and it was a general statement against the Indians and the French too - something like - Look at the Indians they are so TINY for example our SP here...(hee hee whatever I liked it for a moment). The next moment I loved it coz M added that - She's definitely Tiny and the kid in our group but cannot be ignored full of opinions, ideas and always restless. That's definitely Me so, I took it with a pinch of salt and kept quiet! (And obviously he became my best buddy of the week.)

Imagine these guys Germans and Dutch all of them well over 6 feet and well built, are used to seeing their women equally tall and healthy. Oh! I forgot there were some Africans too in the group - M being one of them. Ghanians and Congolese are really Huge! If they think I'm TINY then let it be- I'm simply enjoying the attention. Mingling with people from different cultures can truly be a blessing at times...
Now if anyone calls me 'Healthy' I'll still grin and grin! If you see me with a grinning face then just grin back!

No comments: