Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cider - my latest acquired taste!

In simple terms its apple juice - which I always liked since my childhood. Apple was/ is my favorite fruit and its not a surprise that Cider should appeal to my tastebuds.

The fundu discovery I've made recently is that fermented apple ciders become alcoholic beverages and are very popular in the western world. You get hot ciders, cold ciders, dark ciders, clear ciders, dry ciders, sweet ciders, sparkling and still ciders too. After the beer tasting mania of the last couple of years now its the cider adventure that I plan to undertake. I've noticed people toning down their alcohol intake by moving to cider drinks once per week or more. Good idea! Drinking cider is mainly thought to be a very English custom and is very popular in the UK. (Overall, the UK produces 500 million litres of cider per year source Wikipedia).


Let me tell you Hot Cider (cidre in French) can be the best drink to be had in this cold depressing weather! Right now I'm enjoying a hot chocolate brownie and dreaming of hot cider and feel that life is at its best!


No comments: