Thursday, November 19, 2009

Say "No" to Vacations!

That's quite a statement isn't it? How can anyone say No to vacations? This has nothing to do with the economic downturn or trends - it's a very sensitive matter amongst many NRI women.
I observed this first when I moved to Belgium - that most Indian women were reluctant to go home for the annual vacations. Back then I couldn't imagine what was wrong with them but on closer observation I've discovered the reasons. Most of them still dont have a choice but keep praying that they can say No to the next vacation atleast! Sad...
This is a specific case of women who have to go on vacations to India along with their husbands. They prefer going alone with their kids for a couple of months. So what's the difference? Well simple - if they go with their husband the short vacation will be spent entirely or majorly at their in-laws place and they dont get enough time to spend with their parents! I don't need to get into the details of how restricting that can be - it's obvious.
I never realised this was a major problem until I started a little research into this topic. I gathered that this was an opinion shared by most women across the globe. Most of the ladies return from their vacations and say they are dead tired and found it too tiring, disgusting, no time to do anything and overall sick! Poor things have to work more in India on their vacations. They return and fall ill and take sometime to recover from that mental and emotional exhaustion.
It will take another generation before Indian women can stand up to what they think THEY should do...doesnt seem to be happening yet in my generation. Surprising but true - Sad Facts! So most women still shut up or try to put their ideas across and get rejected. It's an age Old story yes! I'm trying to cope with the fact that it continues well into my gen! Real Bugging!
My story is different maybe just one of those few exceptions. Simply have to thank God for that and be content! I can't change the world nor can I help all these women who want to say No...it's upto them to take the step!

No comments: