Thursday, November 26, 2009

Moms or Super Moms - Part II


After a "particular" chat with my friend today I felt I needed to complete this series. Sometime back I wrote about Indian moms who seem to have turned Super moms in this era. I also mentioned that I haven't noticed many instances of Super moms amongst my western friends. Let's explore some of my observations on this.

Most Indian moms go out of their way to support their kids and give them the best. They do this unselfishly with a good intention. However, most also lose their own identities and their world starts revolving around their children. The sun rises and sets on the child and they cannot look beyond that world for what 10-15 years? Once the child/children start getting independent and want to explore the world on their own the moms suddenly feel at a loss. Either they continue the molly-cuddle and suffocate the child or get depressed that they are not needed. This is true even amongst some of the career moms - especially now when the one-Child @home concept seems to be taking over.

In all this who's at a loss? 1. The mom herself who has stopped viewing life beyond her kid. 2. The husband who might have wandered away or found his own entertainment - drinks or career or friends!

A generation ago this was more relevant with the molly cuddle extending well into the 20s and 30s for men. Most men in India are still pampered by their moms blinded from reality! That's another topic... In my generation women seem to be waking up but, not as much as needed, to look beyond the child. It's difficult to cut the virtual umblical cord which seems to tie one to the child. However, some independence is absolutely necessary.

Most of my western friends have a different approach to bringing up their children. The entire attitude moves from love to indepence. They give them space and do not compromise on their own lifestyles. That's a totally different culture. Is this good or bad? Nothing is good or bad until its comparative and I'm no judge!

So moms out there wake up and take a good look at yourselves. Check if you have your life's mission chalked out? What are doing for yourself? Do you have a couple of hours for yourself? Do you read - expand your knowledge - develop your skills? Do you have any idea what you will do after your children leave the house for further studies? Yes, to all these questions then continue the great lifestyle and encourage your neighborhood moms to follow you.

I also feel that the relationship with the spouse is something which should never be compromised. Never taken for granted - never underestimated - never overlooked. Marriage is to be together for a lifetime and that's the most important relationship for any human. If Indian moms can balance these two and help their children become independent responsible citizens then the next generation of Super moms will flourish too...What say?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Priya said...

Dear Ms.Anonymous

I totally agree with you and admire ur determination!

I'm inspired by so many things that you do for ur kids and how u balance ur life!

This entire topic came up coz I felt u r a Super MOM!

Love u tons
SP

Anonymous said...

hi, babes, read ur blog
agree about ur view that mom's will remain with nothing if they get too much involved in children and nothing else..when the time comes ...the kids leave and go..
i am very well aware of this fact..
and as u are seeing, i didnt give up on my career aspirations
or my own little pleasures for anybody
anybody means "ANYBODY"
i live my life to my terms and i live it to the fullest
i completely fulfill all my responsibilities as a mother,wife , daughter, grand daughter,daughter-in-law but maintain my own space
i first and foremost LOVE MYSELF
or may be i should say I FIRST LOVE AND TRUST ONLY ONE IN THIS WORLD" my ALMIGHTY
I LOVE, TRUST, ADHERE AND FOLLOW, REACH OUT when in trouble to GOD.
i completely believe in the Hinduism basic and belief that there is nothing in the world other than GOD. Rest all is mere attachments, which come and go, which are necessary for a human;s social living..but above all there is only one ...GOD
after that, i LOVE MYSELF
i do things for myself
couple of years back, may be b4 2004 my attitude towards life was completely diff...i was the kind of mom...that u mentioned..my world was nothing but kid types..
but, now, no
sorry, i am not that